Computers and internet access have transformed the way many people work:
- businesses hardly use written letters
- documents are mostly sent by email than by post or fax
- employees with laptops or smartphones can work from home or while they travel
There are positives to an employee having a computer, especially one with internet access:
- use of email and instant messenger to interact with colleagues and clients
- access a host of information online to help with research-related tasks
But there are negatives too. The internet is full of distractions and employees may prefer to play games, browse and update social networking sites or reply to personal emails and instant messages than to get on with their work.
Employers are sometimes aware of this and block certain websites. this however maybe removed during lunch or after work hours.